Preparation for students to receive the Eucharist for the first time begins in second grade (students must be seven years old by March of second grade.) Students journey together with their whole family toward the Eucharist, which is the second sacrament of initiation in the church. Students will learn the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, life in the sacraments of the church, the rite and ritual of the Eucharist at Mass and the names for the sacramentals of the Eucharist and parts of the church, as well as the traditional prayers of the church.
Letter from Fr. Buersmeyer about First Communion at St. Regis in 2017
- Week of January 9, 2017: Students will begin work in their First Holy Communion keepsake workbook: We Celebrate the Eucharist. Each student will follow the directions from his or her classroom teacher or catechist to complete this workbook in class and at home with family.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017: First Eucharist Preparation Session: Liturgy of the Word. Students and one parent should meet in the church from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 7, 2017: First Eucharist Preparation Session: Liturgy of the Word. Students and one parent should meet in the church from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 4, 2017: Family Retreat in the Father Shields Room and gym, 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Students will practice receiving the Eucharist, make their ceramic plates, discuss sharing with our community and write a family meal prayer together. Students should attend with one parent.
- Sunday, March 19, 2017: Student Enrollment Blessing and Parish Prayer Partner Sunday. Students and parents should attend 10:00 or 12:00 Mass.
- April / May 2017: First Communion photos in the church with Renee Rapson; more information TBA
- April / May 2017: First Communion Masses
- Sunday April 23 at 10:00 Mass
- Saturday April 29 at 4:30 Mass
- Sunday April 30 at 12:00 Mass
- Sunday May 7 at 10:00 Mass
- Saturday May 13 at 4:30 Mass
- Sunday May 14 at 12:00 Mass
- Sunday May 21, at 10:00 Mass
- Sunday May 21 at 12:00 Mass
- Saturday May 27 at 4:30 Mass
- June 2017 : Complete We Celebrate the Eucharist with your class and your family!
For more information please contact Sarah Hogan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-646-2686 x4011.